KCSD#7 meetings are held in the old Fort Ward bakery building, which was built in 1910. The bakery provided bread for soldiers stationed at the US Army Coast Artillery Fort Ward for almost 20 years. In World War II, the building was converted to a power house to provide electricity for what became US Naval Radio Station Bainbridge Island, which listened in on Imperial Japanese radio transmissions.
Today, the building is being converted to a community hall in an effort to both preserve history and to create a community center on the south end of Bainbridge Island for everyone to enjoy. Friends of Fort Ward, a 501(c)3, along with the sewer district, the Bainbridge Island Metropolitan Park and Recreation District, neighbors and other organizations, are raising funds to restore the building. After restoration, the Park District will operate the building, which will be used for classes, scout meetings, potlucks, etc. — and sewer district meetings, of course! The sewer district, which owns the building, will maintain a small office there.
To learn more about the Fort Ward Community Hall or to make a contribution to the project, please check out the Friends of Fort Ward website .